If you’re remodeling your home or building a new one, one of the things that you should consider adding is crown molding.
It can help you create a more finished look in your home, which is why many people opt to include it when renovating.
However, many types of crown molding are available today, so how do you choose which is suitable for your space?
Read our tips below to learn how to select the right crown molding for your needs.
Defining Crown Molding
Crown molding is a kind of decorative trim that is installed along the top edge of walls and ceilings. It can cover up any gaps between your ceiling and walls or add an elegant touch to your room.
Crown molding is available in many different styles and can be made from various materials. For instance, you might find wood, metal crown molding, or polystyrene.
The Purpose of Crown Molding
In the old days, the purpose of crown molding was to hide the transition between two different types of materials. This was especially common in older homes with plaster walls and wooden ceilings. These days, crown molding is mostly used for decorative purposes. Here are some of its purposes:
- To give the room more height
- To add style to your home
- To hide imperfections in the ceiling and walls
- To cover up electrical outlets and switches
- To hide the junction where two walls meet
Knowing the purposes of crown molding, let’s look at how to choose one for your home.
How to Choose the Right Crown Molding
Crown molding can be a great addition to any room, but choosing the right crown molding for your home is important. There are several different types of crown molding out there, each with its pros and cons. Here are some things you should consider before making a decision:
- Style: One of the most important factors when choosing crown molding. Try sticking to the same manner as your home or going with something more modern or traditional. You should also consider how it will look with your other trim work and ceiling material.
- Material: The material used for the crown molding will depend on what kind of style you want for your home. There are many different types of materials available, including wood and plastic. Each material has its unique characteristics and may be better suited to certain rooms than others.
- Size: The size of your room will also impact what type of crown molding you choose because bigger rooms need bigger pieces to make them look proportional. You also want to ensure that the crown molding is manageable, or else it will look out of place and clash with the rest of your design.
- Location: Consider the area where you are installing the crown molding to determine the best style. For example, if you’re installing crown molding in a living room with high ceilings, consider using a more elaborate style of crown molding that adds height and depth to the room.
Crown molding can add elegance and style to your home. It’s an affordable way to make a big impact in any room of your house, so if you’re looking for a quick fix that will give your space a more finished look, it may be worth considering.
Creative Crown Foam Moldings manufactures the first and only polystyrene crown molding in California. We are committed to providing high-quality, cost-effective products that add value and beauty to your home or commercial space.